Tuesday 7 July 2009

Saving the planet and my pocket


About 18 months ago I had a Trianco Activair air source heat pump installed at home.


In that time I have seen a significant reduction in the price of my energy bills – so good for me and good for the planet too.


Activair works firstly, by using a small amount of electricity to drive a pump to extract the ambient heat stored in the air and then converts this, using a compressor and heat exchanger, into heat for domestic heating and hot water. Not only that, it has a proven and quantifiable output - the smaller version at least triples the amount of input used – meaning a great deal less energy is needed to heat water.

Previously, I used the gas boiler for both hot water and heating. I took a reading prior to having the 3kW Activair installed in the loft - this was measured at 128 units per month. A year after installing the air source heat pump, the gas consumption has been reduced to 89 units per month – a 30% saving on my gas bill.

Pretty good I think. I admit it will take a while to recoup the cost of the Activair – but then that’s not really why I did it. I did it as I believe doing your best to save energy is the right thing to do.

See http://www.trianco.co.uk.



No comments: